Skip to main content

River cafe polenta, almond and lemon cake

This week has been a bit up and down with the weather, lots of rain and then an absolute scorcher yesterday in the 30˚s. Yesterday was an especially good day because not only did I get a little bit less pasty but I also stood up on my surfboard about 10 times!! I did almost die about twice getting absolutely smashed by waves and ended up with my hair looking a bit like a loo brush but very happy!!

Since the weather has been crappy I made a huge cake, and I think this could be my newest most favourite cake I have ever made. I have been trawling through my River cafe books and there is so much amazing stuff so since I have all kinds of great ingredients on my door step I am going to go nuts and try loads this month.


Serves 12

450g unsalted butter, softened
450g caster sugar
450g ground almonds
2 teaspoons good vanilla essence
6 free range eggs
zest of 4 lemons
juice of 1 lemon
225g polenta flour or fine semolina
1 1/2  teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Preheat the oven to 160˚C/325˚F/Gas 3. Butter and flour a 30cm (12 in) cake tin.

Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and light. Stir in the ground almonds and vanilla. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in the lemon zest and lemon juice, the polenta, baking powder and salt.

Spoon into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 mins or until a skewer poked in comes out clean. The cake will have a deep brown colour on top so don't worry if you think its burning unless it's going black then you probably are.

Popular posts from this blog

Poached Pear Crumble

Lots of pears and apples around it being winter and all, so I got all english at the weekend and made crumble with poached pears. By poaching the fruit the crumble tastes pretty different and less sugary in my opinion, you could poach apples too I guess and I like to mix half poached with half not so you get a different texture and taste. Poaching liquid 100ml of caster sugar to 200ml of water...use depending on how many pears you poach and should cover all the pears in a big pan cinnamon stick 2 Star Anise 1 bit of peeled lemon rind 1 Pear per person (best to use harder pears not very ripe ones) Heat the poaching liquid and spices, lemon rind until the sugar has dissolved. Peel half the pears whole and place in the poaching liquid and cover with a round piece of parchment paper. Bring liquid to a low simmer and they should cook for about 20-30 mins depending on how ripe the pears were at the start. You should be able to stick a knife through. Take them off the heat and let them cool i

Warm chickpea, aubergine & broccoli salad with bulgur, sunflower seeds and a lemon yoghurt dressing

Wow it has been a long time since I posted any recipes, Je suis très désolé! I have just got back from 5 months in the beautiful swiss alps where I have been cooking loads for the café, skiing a little bit and enjoying mountain life, anyway I have now returned to wet England for a couple of weeks and have some time and energy to start sharing some of my new fantastique recipes. This is one of my new favourite salads from the chef Denis Cotter's book 'For the love of food' which is so incredibly amazing and I can't believe I have only just found out about him. I feel like the rest of my blog for the next few months maybe a little shrine of his recipes as I am so desperate to try them all. Serves 4 2 medium aubergines, halved lengthways, cut into slices 1 cm thick 25g sunflower seeds 2 tsp soy sauce 400g broccoli salt and pepper For the bulghur 50g bulghur 4 tbsp olive oil 200g cooked chickpeas (either from a can or soak and cook your own) 2tsp cumin seeds 1 fresh chilli,